EVPHA search committee named January 30, 2023
UK HealthCare is the power of advanced medicine. The tagline is there to convey our commitment to our community and our state. The idea — that we are here to provide the most sophisticated of care to address the most daunting of health challenges — is foundational to our efforts to advance Kentucky.
In my tenure at UK, I have understood and appreciated that essential fact. Over the last several weeks, I’ve heard from dozens of people in our health care enterprise and across campus and admire their commitment to both our present and future. The hope and healing we extend across the state are profoundly important to our Commonwealth.
As we begin a national search for our next Executive Vice President for Health Affairs (EVPHA), it’s critical we have a search committee that represents the depth and breadth of our campus and understands how essential this enterprise is to what we do to advance Kentucky.
Against that backdrop, I’m very appreciative of the leaders across our campus who have agreed to serve on the search committee that will provide me with recommendations on filling this critical position.
The committee will be co-chaired by Dr. Seth Himelhoch, Professor and Chair, Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, and Dr. Nancy Cox, Vice President for Land-grant Engagement and Dean, College of Agriculture, Food and Environment.
Other committee members include:
- Dr. Katrice Albert, Vice President for Institutional Diversity
- Dr. Lisa Cassis, Vice President for Research
- Dr. Darwin Conwell, Professor and Chair, Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine
- Dr. Scottie Day, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Chair, Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine and Physician in Chief, Kentucky Children’s Hospital
- Dr. Chris DeSimone, Professor and Chief Medical Officer, Perioperative Services, UK HealthCare
- Ms. Melissa Frederick, Associate Vice President for UK HealthCare Human Resources
- Dr. Chipper Griffith, Acting Dean and Professor, College of Medicine
- Dr. Zaki Udin Hassan, Professor and Chair, Department of Anesthesiology, College of Medicine
- Dr. Susan McDowell, Associate Professor and Chair, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, College of Medicine
- Dr. Colleen Swartz, Vice President for Hospital Operations, UK HealthCare
- Dr. Craig van Horne, Chair and Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, College of Medicine
- Ms. Amelia Pace, Vice President, Student Government Association
- Mr. Jon Gent, Staff Senate Representative
- Representative from University Senate will be nominated by faculty leadership
The search committee will begin its work immediately and work as quickly as possible to provide me with recommendations regarding the permanent EVPHA position.
Of course, more important than moving quickly is working to find the right leader for this large and complex enterprise. We have able leadership in our Acting Co-EVPHA leaders, Dr. Bob DiPaola and Dr. Eric Monday. And, we have thousands of people across this enterprise — doctors and nurses, technicians and support staff — who work tirelessly and in outstanding ways every day to make UK HealthCare among the best in the nation.
That work will continue, even as this search progresses. I am excited about the candidates, who I know will be attracted to this enterprise and our vision to advance Kentucky by ensuring a healthier state now and for the future.
Thank you for all you do to make that vision a reality.
Eli Capilouto President